Lettings Guide
Lettings Guide

Lettings Guide

To report any maintenance issues please go to 



Renting GUIDE

Properties are normally available on an initial 6 months Assured Shorthold Tenancy although some may be available for an initial 12 months. Many tenancies continue on a month to month basis after the fixed term

John Francis act as Agents for the Landlords, some of whom may not accept Tenants initially on Housing Benefit or with pets or even with small children. For further information on each property if this information is not available on our website please enquire with our Office

Couples will normally be required to complete a joint Tenancy Agreement with all parties fully responsible for the whole of the rent and other commitments

Upon reserving a property Tenants will be required to pay a holding deposit as indicated in the application form, a copy of which can be downloaded. Tenants will need to pay a security deposit which is returnable after the termination of the Agreement subject to its terms which is normally held in a Trust account with interest being added to this deposit

Usually pets are prohibited in flats and more often than not also in houses

For their own benefit Tenants are strongly advised to take out their own contents insurance and John Francis can arrange this for you if required

Credit referencing and Agreement preparation usually takes a minimum of 10 days


Q. What Information Do I Need To Provide To Rent A Property?

A. When you express an interest and agree a rental sum to rent a property we will need to carry out a credit check for each applicant who intends applying to rent a property who are aged over 18. We will also require to obtain references from current and previous employers as well as from previous landlords so that our landlord clients can assess your suitability to rent the property. We will also require you to provide us with photo ID document of a passport or driving licence again for each applicant along with a proof of residency such as an utility bill dated within the last 3 months.

Q. Will I Have To Pay A Deposit?

A. All tenancies are subject to a tenant deposit which is usually for at least 1 month’s rent and will be paid to John Francis who will then place it within a protected deposit scheme. If a landlord is a member of such a scheme we will forward the deposit to him and we will inform you of this within 14 days of the start of the tenancy.

Q. What Other Bills Am I Responsible For?

A. Tenants are responsible for the payments of all utilities supplies such as gas, electric, water as well as council tax and TV licencing. Sometimes rents are agreed including some of these costs but these will be clearly explained to you within your tenancy agreement.

Q. Are Pets Allowed?

A. Usually our properties are let with the condition that no pets are allowed but occasionally landlords will allow pets but will usually require an additional deposit to be charged.

Q. What Are My Responsibilities As Tenant?

A. As a tenant you are responsible for:

Paying your rent promptly be that weekly or monthly.

Arranging with the utility companies to take over accounts and paying these accounts.

Reporting any damages of repairs as soon as possible.

To carry out jobs in and around the property in a good tenant like manner such as changing light bulbs, ordering and paying for central heating oil, mowing lawns etc.

Repairing any routine maintenance damage caused by you due to normal use or misuse e.g. unblocking a sink or toilet, replacing fuses.

Q. Can I Redecorate Or Make Alterations?

A. Usually the conditions of the tenancy will be outlined within the tenancy agreement and any agreement to alter the property will need to be confirmed in writing.

Q. What Is Fair Wear And Tear?

A. This is a term for damage that would naturally and inevitably occur due to the result of normal use. It is a form of depreciation which is assumed to occur even when an item is used competently and with care and is properly maintained.

Q. Can I Renew My Tenancy?

A. Yes this is usually possible but always subject to the landlords agreement to this.

Q. Will There Be Any Routine Visits By You As Agents Or Landlords?

A. It is usual for landlords or agents where lettings are managed for periodic inspections of the property to take place. These will be carried out with you having been given advance warning. These are usually quarterly, however if complaints of any nature are received from neighbours or the police then more frequent inspections may be necessary.